A place to share the crazies!

Mrs. Ipock

Thursday, July 5, 2007

teacher's pet

Okay, teacher moment here: I hate feeling like the teacher's pet. But sometimes you just have this idea that you really want to get out of your head. It really bothers me when people are so closed-minded about new ideas. You know who I'm talking about, the people who are negative about doing something new for some reason or another. Sometimes I just think they're lazy and stuck in their ways. Sometimes I think they're jealous that they aren't in charge, or they aren't the one who thought of the idea. I'm not really sure what the "Christian perspective" I should have on the issue is. Like PLC for example. There are so many people who didn't like the book Getting Started. I, on the other hand, really DID like it. I really agreed with the theory behind it, and I really think that some of those types of changes need to be made in our school. I know the book was a little redundant, but there really is no need to be quite so critical! Don't we all teach "2 stars and a wish"? Shouldn't we comment on the good more than the bad? Okay, this is going far away from the topic I wanted to talk about.... let's try again...

I thought that our school should "collaborate" through a blog like the elementary is. It's a great idea. We don't have time in our meetings on Fridays to collaborate about the stuff we want to talk about because of our "norms"... and the topics of conversation have already been chosen for us. So can't we do some real, honest, open collaboration through a blog? That was my thinking. So I asked our principals about it, got the go ahead, and made the blog. And I made the first post on the blog, and now I feel like a big dork. Like everyone who goes to the intermediate blog is going to be like "Who does she think she is?" or "Why does she think she's in charge of this?" or "Who made her boss?" When really I just wanted us to be able to talk about PLC, and no one else was going to do it. You know? I hate feeling like the teacher's pet! And then to make matters worse, I had this other idea that I didn't think was too shabby either. And I was literally afraid to share it with anyone because I didn't want to start up TWO new things during the summer when I'm supposed to be NOT thinking about school. But, I guess if my goal as a teacher is evolving into really really really helping my students learn, and I think I have a way to help them do that, then I would not be being true to myself if I didn't act on that. So I emailed Sue at FirstPLACE today to tell her my idea about getting more community members involved in our classes as tutors, and she loved it! So I emailed my principal, and we'll just have to wait to see how she responds. Sometimes I'm more afraid of how she'll respond than anything. That's really why I went to Sue first. What is this fear of mine? I know it has to be deeper than just face value. Afraid of being thought of as the teacher's pet. Afraid of telling your principal that you've got a great idea. Afraid of people knowing that you are working on school stuff during the summer. Man, who is this scaredy cat? And why is she so scared of everything? Someone give me a verse to memorize. I just need to worry less about what the world thinks of me, less about how I am perceived or talked about, less about lots of things. Less. And just try to be true to my heart and to what God lays on my heart to undertake. True.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Erin...please know that you are not alone. There are others of us who believe in the principles stated in the book. There are others of us who can't keep from working on school stuff all summer long and can't wait to try new things for the betterment of our students. Do not be afraid. You are doing good things that you know will benefit kids. Seek out those who share your values and they will provide you the collaboration and support you seek. You will probably always worry about what others think because you care deeply about what you do and want others to care as well. Just try not to dwell on it, and remember the wonderful kids you teach. Seek others who are like you, and I guarantee that eventually others will follow you as well. Do not be afraid to share ideas with your principal. She knows you are a good teacher and will listen to your ideas.

I am proud of you, my "mintie"! As my dear friend Amy would say, "Welcome to the dark side." Though I really think that it would be more appropriate to say that we have seen the light! :)

Your friend and colleague,
Cindy

Casey Dawn said...

Erin, I'm pretty sure you are my teacher HERO! I love you, even with all your frustrations. You give me courage to conquer my own fears and insecurities. Though you are DIScouraged...know that you have at least ENcouraged me.

Anonymous said...

Erin -

You go girl! Standing up and trying to make a difference in a school is a difficult thing, don't be ashamed of doing what is best for kids...that is why you became a teacher! I myself agree with Cindy, I love to think about the new things I will try for the upcoming school year. Just because school is only 9 months a year, doesn't mean you aren't an innovative teacher 12.
P.S. This is my first ever response to a blog..I have seen the light!!!

Your fellow "mintie"
Melissa

Erica Joy said...

Friend, your worth and value does not lie in what anybody but God thinks about you. He has brought you into Christ, into His kingdom, into a new way of thinking and loving and being. You are His, and He desires you to walk out your gifts and strengths with confidence and humility, as you submit yourself to Him entirely. It is normal to struggle with fears of what others may think about us, but we should never be crippled by those fears. Jesus paid the price for our FREEDOM, whether it's fear of failure, fear of not measuring up, fear of people thinking we're sucking up, fear of being a bad parent. When we present each circumstance, and the underlying attitudes, to Christ, He will do the work of freeing us from the things that bind our hearts.
I love you and I'm so proud of you for being so honest! Be encouraged friend that every single person in the world struggles with these same things. The root is always the same thing, at least for me. Do I trust...what God says about Himself is true? what God says about me is true? that God really does know what is BEST for me? that God is going to come through for me?
I trust His Spirit in you, Erin, and know He'll continue the good work He's begun in you until it is accomplished. What a hope!

erika solidum said...

I know I am way late on posting to this thought, but I was encouraged by the transparency you were showing. You are not alone as I know that many are getting excited about that book. I thought of you when it mentioned time and time again how important it is for someone to stand up and make those changes and not wait until it is popular opinion. You are an awesome teacher and I know we all learn from you!!